A trip to the grocery store can be a significant drain on the budget.With food costs on the rise, it’s more important than ever for consumers to be savvy about their grocery shopping. Check out these 6 easy ways to change your grocery shopping habits.
- Set a budget and stick to it – It’s all about goal-setting.
- Use the cash envelope system – at the beginning of the week or month, put the amount of cash you plan to spend on groceries in the envelope, and ONLY take that cash to the store.
- Make a detailed list – you must plan out what you’ll make for breakfasts, lunches and dinners for the next week and then write out each ingredient you’ll need for those meals plus a few snacks.
- Make economical substitutions – buy the store brands instead of name-brand products.
- Buy clearance items – some grocery stores regularly put soon-to-expire products in a special clearance bin, marked 30% or 50% off.
- Stop wasting food – you can put a stop to the waste by making sure to use ingredients before they go bad and by not putting too much food on your plate.